Friday, June 09, 2006

Bell's Palsy

Just about a week back, I woke up for work, I felt a tingling sensation on my left cheek. Being out late for the past nights and not getting enough sleep, I went to work in a daze, and only when I finally settled down, I realised my left face ain't moving much. As in, the eyebrow not moving as high as the right, my smile is not balanced, where the right pulls more to my ear.

Now it sort of got me thinking it could be the strain on back of my neck which could be pulling some muscles or something. Moreover the strain is on the left side of my neck. Went to see the doctor and he said could be muscle pull which is affecting the facial nerve. It could also be Bell's Palsy, but my face is still symmetrical, just that movement on the face is not as equal. He gave my some medications and put me on observations, and visit him again once I finish my medication.

About 3 days later, went back to him, he told me the medication is to help prevent inflammation. This time since there is no improvement to the movement, he referred me to neurology to let the neurologist check out my case. Made an appointment this coming tuesday, at Raffles hospital.

After reading on Bell's Palsy, and thinking back on what happened before this hit me, I suspect it was my past few days activities that could have caused this nerve infection to happen.

I had my weekly foot and back massage. This time the guy who massage my neck sort of applied too much pressure, just below my left ear, which I felt a sudden jerk and it was rather painful. I beared with the sudden pain, moreover this is not the first time that happens during a massage. Once the session was over, the pain is still there and I thought it was nothing, since most of the time after my massage, there will be some strain or pain, and after a good sleep, everything will be fine.

Next day, was out with Tereza and gang to KTV, we opened a bottle of JD and somehow we thought the liqour tasted a bit weird. During this period, the pain is still there. Thinking just because I didn't sleep in a good position. Moreover I always have this problem when I don't sleep in a proper position, so I ignore the strain in my neck. Spend the next day with Tereza and her mum, which I ignored the strain. Following day, I send them off in the airport, as usual the strain is still there.

In the night, my friends from Taiwan will be going home the next day, so went to a disco pub with them. Suddenly my left ear couldn't withstand the loud music and the strain is still there, as usual I ignore it, again. Since my friends hardly come to Singapore and will be leaving the next day, we drank quite a far share of beer. I reach home at 0430hrs, went to bed, woke up an hour later for work. Went to work feeling lousy and tired, and as usual the strain is there still. Obviously I didn't sleep much, went straight to bed when I reached home after work. Woke up in the night to have my dinner, went back to sleep again, and when I woke up for work in the morning again, this happened to me.

Thus I suspect, it was the trauma to the nerve while I was having my massage, toxication from the JD and beer I had for the past nights, the bad sleeping position, and not enough rest that caused this viral infection to my facial nerve. Well, since it had already happened, nothing much I can do. Just let the neurologist to check out what is really wrong.

Since the day it happened, appetite ain't as good cos the left side of my tongue has sort of lost the sense of taste. Has been sleeping alot after the medication. Changed my diet abit since can't taste much. Took this opportunity to cut down some weight as well. Afterall, cutting down my weight is my plan for this year before I hit 30 years old. Partly to achieve better timing on Sepang track, which I reckon cutting down my weight will help my car to go faster with less weight, also for a healthier self. Which after seeing chief's present condition at age 40, he is active and his body condition is better than anyone of us who are much much younger than him.

So, I reckon this is a calling. A warning to me that my health is important and it's time, really time to do something about it! ;)

No comments: